Battalion Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Unit Insignia

Description:
     A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height consisting of a wreath of alternating white and red supporting a gold mule with a black field piece on its back, all above a gold arced scroll inscribed “THE SECOND FIRST” in black letters.  This insignia is to be worn in pairs.

Symbolism:
     The insignia is an adaptation of the crest and motto of the coat of arms and alludes to the original character of the organization as mountain or pack artillery.

Background:
     The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 2d Field Artillery Regiment on 28 April 1923.  It was redesignated for the 2d Rocket Field Artillery Battalion on 10 February 1948.  It was redesignated for the 2d Field Artillery Battalion on 29 July 1957.  It was rescinded on 14 July 1959.  The insignia was restored and authorized for the 2d Field Artillery Regiment on 1 September 1971.  It was amended to revise the symbolism and correct the description on 17 April 1978.



Coat of Arms Insignia

Unit Coat of Arms
Blazon:
     Shield: Gules, in fess a Kris Argent hilted Or, a chief ermine.
     Crest: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules, a mule pack Or.
     Motto: The Second First.

Symbolism:

Shield:
     The shield is scarlet for Artillery. The Kris commemorates service against the Moros during the Philippine Insurrection, while the ermine is from the arms of Brittany where the Regiment served in France during World War I.

Crest:
     The crest shows its original character as mountain or pack artillery.

Background:
     The coat of arms was originally approved for the 2d Field Artillery Regiment on 31 May 1921.  It was redesignated for the 2d Field Artillery Battalion on 22 October 1946.  It was redesignated for the 2d Rocket Field Artillery Battalion on 10 February 1948.  It was redesignated for the 2d Field Artillery Battalion on 29 July 1957.  It was rescinded on 14 July 1959.  The insignia was restored and authorized for the 2d Field Artillery Regiment on 1 September 1971.  It was amended to revise the symbolism on 17 April 1978.