The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits releasing the last known address of former Army members without their written consent. However, the agency identified below will assist your search by forwarding your letter to the service member's last known address.

To pursue locating a former Army soldier:
  • Write a letter to the soldier. Place this letter in a sealed and stamped envelope, including your full name and return address.
  • Write a letter addressed to the National Personnel Records Center requesting their assistance with your search. Be sure to include the service member's name, serial number and/or social security number, and date of birth if available.
  • Place your envelope addressed to the service member and the letter to the National Personnel Records Center in ONE envelope. Address this envelope to: National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200. Please note: current addresses for discharged service members are not maintained at the records center - this center only has the service member's last officially recorded address.  Letters to service members the record center can not identify or who are known to be deceased will be returned to you.
  • The same basic procedure applies to those looking for any background history of family members.

Updated: 08 December 2005