The role of Fort Sill has evolved since Maj. Gen. Phillip H. Sheridan drove the first stake here in 1869.
Fort Sill originally protected settlers in Texas from raids by various Indian tribes. The tribes in Fort Sill's frontier days were nomadic and were fighting for their existence, an existence that vanished with the herds of buffalo from the plains. These tribes still have strong racial and cultural roots to the land that Fort Sill occupies.
As the tribes settled on the land and become farmers and ranchers, Sill became the home of the Army School of Musketry. Later, after the cavalry and infantry soldiers were replaced by one of the Army's largest concentrations of field artillery units, the War Department established the School of Fires (field artillery) here in 1911. The field artillery, known as the "king of battle", has long been king of Fort Sill.
As the Army has grown, so has Fort Sill. Today, the field artillery is joined by the air defense artillery and electronic warfare branches to create the Fires Center of Excellence. This center makes an incredible contribution to the nation's defense (and our Oklahoma home):
Contribution to the state and local economies includes --
|5.43 million||Gallons of gasoline pumped through AAFES filling stations at Fort Sill in 2011|
|17,000||Hours of free respite child care provided at three separate facilities|
|$3 million+||Worth of volunteer contributions in 2011
Figures from "2011 Perspective", FCoE STRATCOM