Several of the historic facilities are currently open for public viewing including the Visitor Center (B435); the 1911 School of Fire for Field Artillery (B432); the Post Guardhouse (B336); and the Chapel (B425). The Visitor Center (B435) is the initial point of entry to the museum and where all tours should begin. An attendant is on duty at this location to answer questions, distribute maps and brochures, show a 20 minute film on the history of Fort Sill, and monitor introductory exhibits. Public restrooms are also located in this facility.
The School of Fire for Field Artillery (B432) is located across the street east. It has been totally restored and partially refurnished to the 1911 period when formal instruction in Field Artillery first began at Fort Sill. Associated exhibits explaining this history are also included within.
The exhibits in the Post Guardhouse (B336) are in the process of being redone but parts of the building have been restored and refurnished to its 1870s appearance. A balanced approach of exhibit galleries and period furnished rooms is utilized here to address the early law enforcement history of the Army at Fort Sill. This includes the early lawbreakers, Deputy US Marshals, Indian Police, as well as the guards and prisoners. The first Post Chapel (B425) reflects an early house of worship in the Indian Territory and has been used continually for religious services since it was built in 1875.
The Warrior’s Journey Gallery (B441 South) is currently open by appointment only and is the most recent addition to the museum’s exhibits. Approximately 30 exhibits depict the status of the warrior’s tradition for the Native Americans from the pre-reservation period, to the aftermath of the surrenders at Fort Sill, to the present time. Rare and significant items once used by prominent Native Americans in the Southern Plains, are included in the exhibits.
The furnished Cavalry Barracks (B442 North) is a favorite of many visitors. One can feel the presence of the typical cavalry soldier in this building which is furnished to the 1870's period. From the bunks and equipment of the enlisted men, to the Sergeant’s quarters, the supply room, the mess hall and kitchen, the daily life of a soldier during the Indian Wars in the Indian Territory envelopes the museum visitor.
Several new projects are underway to expand the public viewing opportunities at this museum. The original Commissary Storehouse (B345) is being prepared - new flooring, new HVAC system and new fire suppression system - for new exhibits utilizing the museum’s wagon collection to interpret the early transportation history of Fort Sill. The Quartermaster was responsible for this function among many others. Included in this gallery will be an 1870 stagecoach, conestoga wagon, mountain wagons, early horse drawn hearse, omnibus, Phaetons, buggies and a Talleyho wagon.