The Visitor Control Center, T6701 Sheridan Road, Fort Sill

0500-2100 every day

You must register firearms and any types of bows; a firearm is any weapon that will, is designed to or may readily convert to expel a projectile by action of an explosion or propellant.

Upon arrival to the installation or if you store your weapons in a storage area on Fort Sill. Those required to register their weapons must do so within one duty day of arrival or possession of the firearm.

Service members must fill out FS Form 562, have their commander sign the form if living on the installation and bring the form to the center. If the service members is not able to register the weapon, or if the weapon belongs to a family member, then the family member may register the weapon using FS Form 562.


No! Do not bring your weapon into the center! Only bring a completed FS Form 562.

Yes, anyone with a felony cannot register or bring a firearm on to Fort Sill, also those convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or felony.

When transporting weapons use the most direct route when entering or leaving Fort Sill. Intermediate stops of short duration at the shoppettes are the only authorized stops. Do not make stops at any other on-post locations. You are not authorized to take the weapon to work or store the weapon in your vehicle.

Yes, when transporting, all weapons need to be unloaded and ammunition should be stored separately from the weapon.

Yes, and provide a copy of the printed registration form. You may also be required to provide them with additional information regarding the transportation of both registered and unregistered weapons by law enforcement personnel.

Military personnel residing in troop billets that own or possess any weapons will store them in a unit arms room. Military personnel and their family members residing in family quarters, who own or possess firearms, will store items in their residences. Firearms in on-post quarters will be kept unloaded and in a place separate from the ammunition, and under double lock and key.

Yes. A rifle barrel should be no less than 16 inches length and a shotgun barrel should be no less than 18 inches. While the overall gun length for either a rifle or a shotgun has to be 26" according to the ATF, paying extra for an exception can make a difference. Even though black powder guns don't have this limitation, guns that fire "smokeless powder" do have to adhere to ATF and federal guidelines.

Under the National Firearms Act (NFA), it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun (a shotgun with a barrel length shorter than 18 inches (46 cm) or an overall length shorter than 26 inches (66 cm))

If you have a gun that falls under the NFA but is not registered, you are violating federal law and the penalties associated with violations can cost you up to $10,000, 10 years of imprisonment or both, if the maximum penalties are levied against you along with the firearm being subject to forfeiture.

(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device [information from 26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11 For more information, please visit the ATF website at:

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm.

This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported [Information from 26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 478.101]. For more information, see the ATF website at:

Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms.

This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all state and local laws [Information from 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28. For more information, see the ATF website at: