1-22nd Field Artillery Battalion 434th Field Artillery Brigade
The 22d Field Artillery Regiment was constituted on 18 May 1918 as Battery A, Separate Battalion of Mountain Artillery. The unit was organized at Corozal Canal Zone on 10 July 1918. The unit was redesignated on 1 July 1921 as Battery A, 22d Field Artillery.
On 15 September 1921, the unit was inactivated in the Canal Zone. The unit was assigned to the 4th Division from 23 July 1929 until 7 December 1929. The battalion was then assigned to the 6th Division until 2 October 1939. On 13 January 1941, the unit was redesignated as Battery A, 22d Field Artillery Battalion. On 15 April 1941, the unit was activated at Pine Camp, New York. The unit was reorganized and redesignated as Battery A, 22d Armored Field Artillery Battalion.
During this time, the battalion participated in the invasion of Normandy, the effort in Northern France, the campaign in the Ardennes-Alsace (the Battle of the Bulge), and the effort in Central Europe. The unit was converted and redesignated on 01 May 1946 as Troop A, 22d Constabulary Squadron, an element of the 14th Constabulary Regiment. The unit was inactivated on 20 May 1949 in Hersfeld, Germany; concurrently converted and redesignated as Battery A, 22d Armored Field Artillery Battalion. The battalion was assigned to the 4th Armored Division on 25 February 1953. The battalion as next activated on 15 June 1954 at Fort Hood, Texas.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated 01 April 1957 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Howitzer Battalion, 22d Field Artillery and assigned to the 1st Armored Division. The unit was redesignated on 01 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 22d Field Artillery. The battalion was inactivated on 16 January 1988 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 1st Armored Division.
On 15 September 1996, the battalion was reactivated as the 1st Battalion, 22d Field Artillery within the Field Artillery Training Center, Fort Sill, Oklahoma with the formal ceremonies for the activation occurring on 11 October 1997.
On 08 May 2008, the battalion reflagged as the 1st Battalion, 22nd Field Artillery within the 428th Field Artillery Brigade, Fort Sill, Oklahoma. During this time, it assumed the BOLC Phase II mission where it developed, trained and mentored the future junior officers of the Army. In that short amount of time the unit trained more than 8,000 second lieutenants from all branches of the Army. The battalion deactivated on 09 April 2010.